> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Use of Caulkstrip material
Login | Register

Use of Caulkstrip material

Posted by STephen Keown on June 20th, 2002 07:29 PM
In reply to Anyone tried Caulkstrip? by Henry in MI--Mulderator today, Scullerator tomorrow on July 12th, 2001 04:57 PM [Go to top of thread]

8 of 8 people found this post helpful

I have used this product for years. (sold under 2 names (Myro) Magic American. It has pros and cons. Cons: 1.You must remove all previous silicone. You probably want to use mineral spirits or paint thinner to remove any traces of the silicone. The butyl rubber adhesive will not stick to silicone. The company really prefers you have used latex caulking before so it will stick well. I had to buy extra packages til I learned this. 2. The corners are hard to deal with. You will probably leave some slight "pucker" and that can be filled in with a short shot of regular caulking.You can overlap the corners, but I dont think it looks that well, so plan on using a box cutter to cut thru the overlap so it looks finished. You would start with the back long piece first, then the sides. It will not mildew, but a shot of mildew cleaner every few months will keep the "reddish" mildew from forming around the tub edge. 3. It is the devil to take off if after a number of years, you want to do a detail cleaning, change a tub enclosure, etc. The butyl rubber really sticks. The Teflon white plastic (the piece showing) comes off, and the rubber adhesive stays. I have yet to find an easy way to take it off. I am trying goo gone, mineral spirits, caulk-be gone, etc. and elbow grease.(really tough on fiberglass tubs). And it can therefore be removed. For that reason, I think something like kwik-seal plus by Dap may be easier to deal with if a change is planned in your future. Use it along with a caulking tool from one of the "toothpaste" type tubes instead of a caulking gun.
Pros: 1.It lasts a long time.(I think 10 year warranty is sales hype). It will split along the crease eventually.
2. It cleans easily
3. It is fairly cost effective.
4. It will cover grouting at the tub base to tile wall that separates from the tub, and particularly with fiberglass tubs that move slightly with a persons weight, the movement does not crack the caulking seal.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC