> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Use cultured stone...
Login | Register

Use cultured stone...

Posted by Jim -ATS on April 11th, 2000 08:20 PM
In reply to cover existing brick fireplace by Rebecca E on April 9th, 2000 06:31 PM [Go to top of thread]

You'll have to look up the actual application, but I would use cultured stone (it has a flat face on the application side.)

I would also recommend having your chimney professionally cleaned first by a reputable company, and have them tell you what kind of shape the flue and liner and body are in before you go to the expense of covering it up, only to find out you really need to tear it apart to rebuild the thing. In addition, the new rock will weigh quite a bit, so it's good to know ahead of time if the chimney will support the weight. (Tell the sweep what you are planning before he does his inspection).

I am making the assumption that you are talking about the outside of the house, since you speak about the chimney, but if its just inside the home, yes, in many cases you can go right over the existing, but you should consider some wire lath that is attached to the existing fireplace with mortar screws.

Have fun!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC