> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > upgrading
Login | Register

Posted by rubyroo on April 15th, 2003 11:04 AM
In reply to Ungrounded/Grounded Electrical Outlets by Margie on April 14th, 2003 07:39 AM [Go to top of thread]

[ *** ****'s Fix-it For'em ] [ Archive ] [ Post a Follow Up Message ]

Subject Title: GFCI behaves as grounded
Posted by rubyroo on February 07, 2003 at 06:21 PM

In Reply to: GFCI Protection posted by dougseibert2001 on February 07, 2003 at 02:45 PM [ Goto top of thread ]

"The 1990 CEC allows one exception to the grounding problem: you can substitute a GFCI outlet for an ungrounded outlet, because a GFCI behaves as though it is grounded,even if it isn't.
A GFCI contains a hole for the grounding prong on three-prong plugs.It is particularly useful when you want to upgrade an old two-wire electric system that doesn't have an equipment ground. You get safty at a bargain price. Paying about $10.00 for a GFCI outlet is a lot cheaper than tearing open walls to run new wiring"
This information is on page 85 of The Family Handyman-How a House Works by Duane Johnson/consultant Jon Eakes
I just wanted you to know, I really did my homework because this was an issue for me.
I have replaced the outlets in my own house with the GFCI's and I feel much safer with them. I paid $9.99 canadian for each one.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC