> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > understood soaker hose concept
Login | Register

understood soaker hose concept

Posted by bc on May 5th, 2000 12:01 PM
In reply to Soaker hoses and stuff that Jim-ATS wouldn't understand. by X-guy on May 4th, 2000 07:17 AM [Go to top of thread]

I understood the soaker hose "concept" back when it was originally posted but the problem was that it wasn't explained like it was above and may not have been germaine to the gutter question and the gutter matter was said in a way to encourage the ensuing argument.

Around here with our gumbo clay, we tend to fix that problem with backfill. We backfill over the drain tile with gravel and then backfill against the basement foundation with a lighter soil mix that doesn't have the clay problems. I can't say that all builders haul in the soil but the good ones do and the others should. I can see that in a desert climate with clay that a soaker hose would help.

We can go out in the backyard (which doesn't have a sprinkler system) during a dry July and August and find cracks that you can stick your hand into which I discussed previously in my wood fence building post that mentioned how the ground dries and pulls back from the post and concrete and allows them to further flap in the breeze. Other times of the year, we get enough moisture to avoid the problem.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC