> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Under The Floor And Out The Wall ...
Login | Register

Under The Floor And Out The Wall ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on September 28th, 2001 08:19 AM
In reply to venting a gas clothes dryer by Molly on September 27th, 2001 02:52 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Molly,

As Steve: said, the BEST route to go is one that has the least amount of 'height' associated with it. And yes, the flexible ducting is the WORST because of its corrigation. It tends to bind the lint. In short, go up as little as possible and directly out the wall to the outside. It's OK to cut a hole in the ribbon joist (that's the size of the duct) so you can get outside.

Now, the question is: What do you have for an outside wall??? If it's brick, you might want to hire a Pro to at least cut and finish off the hole. (A brick mason would be best.) As far as running the ductwork, do your best to install it with the LEAST amount of 'turns' in the piping. The more turns you have, the more 'likely' lint will collect.

I would not vent your dryer into a crawlspace or into the basement, itself. A dryer pushes a LOT of heat over very wet clothes and that moisture will only cause problems. If vented into a crawl, it will condense out onto wood joists and subflooring, thus causing dry rot. If vented into the house, you'll end up with a HUGE humidity level and nothing but mold and mildew. There are these 'gizzmos' that are sold that 'permit' you to vent into the house or crawl but I wouldn't do it. (The next thing you know you'll be wondering why you have that strange 'smell' in your house!)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC