> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > ugly wall paneling
Login | Register

ugly wall paneling

Posted by Brian on June 27th, 2000 02:42 AM

Well, I had a hankering to rip all of the ugly, dark wall paneling out for a LOOOONG time, so I finally did...
What was nice was the paneling was glued to stips of wood that were nailed to the wall. The strips looked to be about 1/2"x4". Now that it's all out, I have a nice big mess of a trillion and a half holes in the walls, most of which have an ugly baby blue paint on them which is cracking and flaking in several areas, and with sections of crumbling plaster from earthquakes, etc. My plan was to just patch everything up with plaster, sand and paint. Does anyone have an opinion about this? Is there a better (and hopefully less messy) way to do all this? The only odd thing though, is that there is a small circular hole in the wall, about 1/2" in diameter, from an anchor I tore out. Under a thick layer of plaster, I seem to see a layer of drywall, and no visible lath. The area around the hole does not seem to show any visible signs of being a drywall-under-plaster patch. My house was built in the 50s, as I recall, so I am unsure of what sort of building innovations were popular at the time. I know plaster over drywall isn't unusual, but was it common during the 50s?

Thanks in advance for any help and responses, sorry so long,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC