> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > TVI issues
Login | Register

TVI issues

Posted by BobB on October 3rd, 2001 09:13 AM
In reply to I'm Not Sure About This ... by Jay J -Moderator on October 3rd, 2001 08:35 AM [Go to top of thread]

Jay and Andrew, Actually your intuition about interference has roots in the 1950's when antennas were connected to televisions with "flat" twin lead wire, commonly called 300 ohm. This stuff was an antenna in and of itself and would pick up signals from various sources such as nearby radio stations, ham radio operators, and later on SCR light dimmers and appliances. The reason for the shield in a modern coax ( 75 ohm ) cable is to shield the signal carrying wire in the middle from these noises. The shield should be effectively grounded at the usage point ( TV ) and this should bleed off the noise signals. There should be no reason you couldn't run a coax cable in the say wireway, with power cable, sheathed electrical cable or otherwise.
That said, however, I am not comfortable with terminating the cable in the same junction box as the poser cable. There are bare connection screws in the power receptacle junction box, and it doesn't seem like a good idea. Also I don't recall seeing cover plates that incorporate both the duplex recsptacle and the coax connector. What is usally done is to mount a seperate box, nearby ; above; below or on the other side of the stud, and terminate the communication, TV cables seperately.
I didn't see and NEC provision which proscribes this, however it is common practice.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC