> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > TV Interference
Login | Register

TV Interference

Posted by John Micklewright on November 21st, 2002 01:21 PM
In reply to Electrical Help if needed by Phill on June 30th, 2001 09:59 AM [Go to top of thread]

I have a strange and complicated mystery problem. I'll explain.

Bought a new Philips 25" TV end of May this year.

In October, undergrounding began outside our house (all overhead street wires to be put underground). A week or so later the workmen are still digging up the road and sidewalk and putting new appliances (gas) in our garage. Then, last Sunday, The Philips TV (the only one on cable) starts a severe crackling noise. If I mute the TV, the crackling stops. If I mute cable, the crackling continues. So, I bring down a guest room TV and plug into a socket in our living room (so no cable). This TV is fine...but later develops a picture static in the same rhythym as the audio on cable. I then check all the TVs in the house and they have the same picture static (but not audio) and some stations are worse than others.

I then to try and discover if the problem is with the Philips' TV speakers or the electrical. I rig up the sound to come out of our stereo speakers. Now I am are getting the sound through the stereo speakers...but still the crackling is coming through the TV speakers. So, not wholly convinced, but figure it must be the TV. The store kindly exchanges the TV for another of the same model. Plug in the new TV...and the same audio crackling, only now a little softer.

Call PG&E to come and check the wiring. Guy comes. Does something outside the house...and, yay, no more crackling! He leaves, and I check the TV an hour later, crackling is back! Call PG&E again and another technician comes. This one has a small hand-held appliance with a wand at one end. When he places wand to speakers of TV, the wand responds vigorously. We go through whole series of switching on and off circuit breakers. Can't find problem...however now, not only is the audio problem still there, but local channels on the cable TV (the replaced Philips) are terrible flickering, spinning, double images, color all over the place! PG&E man says check with the cable company (AT&T Broadband, by the way) but I say it is too much of a coincidence that the cable should go wrong 10 minutes after he arrives. He is adamant and suggests getting in an electrician to see what is wrong with wiring in house.

So that is where it stands now. However, one last fact: as I drove the car into the garage this morning the car radio starts the same audio static!! Which indicates to me, that the problem is not in the wiring.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

John Micklewright

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC