> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Tub drain removal
Login | Register

Tub drain removal

Posted by Bruce M on September 16th, 1998 10:02 PM
In reply to Bath tub drain by Neil S on September 13th, 1998 06:21 PM [Go to top of thread]

3 of 3 people found this post helpful

Hi Neil
If the tub is toast then like Matt says, a hand grinder can be used to cut away the tub around the drain flange so you can grab the flange edge with vice grips (or something similar) and wrench it around to unscrew it. Take care not to damage the drain pipe the flange threads to underneath

If you want to save the tub I'll tell you what I've done the last two bathtubs I've refinished. I put a pair of regular plyer handles down into the drain flange within the cross bars of the flange, then grabbed the plyer handle down as low to the flange as I could with an 18" pipe wrench and slowly, with all my might, turned the plyer handles counterclockwise. Be sure to put packing quilts (or something similar) into the tub, as a slip here will otherwise take a big divot out of the tub's finish and will make you a most unhappy camper! And expect the plyer handles to look a little cock-eyed when you are done :-)

Hope this helps

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC