> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > tub
Login | Register

Posted by Paul in Md on February 10th, 2003 01:30 PM
In reply to Refinishing a Claw Tub by JulieAnn Henry on February 10th, 2003 10:12 AM [Go to top of thread]

Julie your tub isnt in as bad a spot as you may think. I refinished my old tub 2 years ago and it looks great. You will need to disconnect the plumbing and the halo if you have a shower. Get some strong help to move the tub away from the wall and turn it upside down if possible. This makes the rest of the work much easier. Use an electric drill with a sanding wheel to remove the rust. Dont sand the whole tub to bare metal! The under paint is lead and it can make a real mess, its actually really good primer anyway. You can scrape by hand any loose or flaking paint and then use a good quality metal primer, like auto spray primer, and paint the whole outside af the tub. The feet may be removed if they arent molded or welded to the tub. this will make it easier to paint them if you want a different color. After priming 2 coats you can paint the tub and feet any way you want. Home depot will have everything you need. I hope that the inside porcelain is ok, thats another issue entirely. good luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC