> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Trying to Save Old Heart Pine Floors!
Login | Register

Trying to Save Old Heart Pine Floors!

Posted by Linda M on August 21st, 2001 11:09 AM

Help! I have read thru this board and found some great advice on dealing with old floors. My situation is...1500 sq. feet of heart-pine floors over 4 rooms that are in variying degrees of 'stress'. We have ripped up layers of carpet, then asphalt tile. Removed old CI radiators. Most of the floors are covered with what looks like porch paint! One small area 1'X 14' is rotten (where one of the radiators sat). We are discussing removing one section of floor (room we definately want carpet in) to use to repair other areas. The floors are side nailed together and then attached directly to floor joists, no-subfloor. My question... How do we get this floor apart to be able to re-lay it elsewhere? I had just suggested to my husband that maybe we could hammer the (square-head) nails through the board to release one at a time, but where will these nails end up? Will they go through one board into the side of another? Sorry to be so long here, but I really want to save these floors instead of replaceing. By the way, I have chemically stripped a small portion of one floor and the wood is absolutely gorgeous.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC