> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Try This ...
Login | Register

Try This ...

Posted by Jay J on April 3rd, 2000 01:16 PM
In reply to french drain by Roberta Looney on April 1st, 2000 12:52 PM [Go to top of thread]

Check out my Follow-up to a recent post. If the water pools on your driveway, if it's a concrete or asphalt driveway, you'll have a tougher time getting the water off of it. In this case, you may have to re-bed the driveway and pour, or re-top the area in question. Not a big expense but not one you want to do yourself. On the other hand, if you have a dirt or gravel driveway, you can get the water off the driveway yourself. Then, as you put it, what should you do from there?

Plez DON'T channel the water towards the house. If you do this, the next thing you know you'll be writing to 'us' and asking for help in getting rid of water in your basement, or the like. On the other hand, when you get the water to the OTHER side of the driveway, you may not necessarily have to do anything from there. W/O seeing the landscape, it's hard to tell. If you can at least fix the driveway to get the water off of it, wait to see if you need to do more.

As an aside, when we bought our home, water on our asphalt driveway ran TOWARDS the house. I had a contractor dig up about 30' of driveway along the foundation (which was right up agains the driveway), put in more gravel, and top with new asphalt. They angled the blacktop enough to keep the water 3' from the foundation. It doesn't pool because they put in enough of a 'slant' so it runs away from the house, and down the driveway. (Be sure you're around when your contractor comes to be sure they angle the 'fix' so the water runs off the driveway.)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC