> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Try....
Login | Register

Posted by Larry on August 21st, 2000 04:47 PM
In reply to Cleaning grouting in ceramic flooring by Ro on August 21st, 2000 12:54 PM [Go to top of thread]

Actually you can use neutral detergents (like car wash soap or dishwashing liquid). The important thing is to dilute them 1 capful per gallon and rinse over with clean water.

I dont know what color your grout was before, I'm asumming white. More than likely your grout wasn't sealed before and the water acted as a carrier pulling the grime into the dry grout like a sponge or your soap contained phosphoras which breeds mildew (it's actually used as a fertilizer). This is why it's generally not recommended to use soap to clean tile.

If you have'nt tried bleach I would give it a shot. Do a small area in under the refrigerator or stove and see if it will work. Make sure you rinse it over after cleaning it. Mix 1 cup of bleach per gallon of water. Let it soak in for a few minutes. Put a fan on it and let it dry comepletely.

If it works, look into sealing the grout. Try this link for an easy to apply sealer.

The sooner you take care of this problem, the easier it will be to remedy. I hope it works out for you.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Ooops! by Larry  8/21/00 05:05 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC