renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Try....
Login | Register

Try....

Posted by Larry on August 21st, 2000 04:47 PM
In reply to Cleaning grouting in ceramic flooring by Ro on August 21st, 2000 12:54 PM [Go to top of thread]

Actually you can use neutral detergents (like car wash soap or dishwashing liquid). The important thing is to dilute them 1 capful per gallon and rinse over with clean water.

I dont know what color your grout was before, I'm asumming white. More than likely your grout wasn't sealed before and the water acted as a carrier pulling the grime into the dry grout like a sponge or your soap contained phosphoras which breeds mildew (it's actually used as a fertilizer). This is why it's generally not recommended to use soap to clean tile.

If you have'nt tried bleach I would give it a shot. Do a small area in under the refrigerator or stove and see if it will work. Make sure you rinse it over after cleaning it. Mix 1 cup of bleach per gallon of water. Let it soak in for a few minutes. Put a fan on it and let it dry comepletely.

If it works, look into sealing the grout. Try this link for an easy to apply sealer.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/onlyproducts/TileLab/surfacegard_sealer.htm

The sooner you take care of this problem, the easier it will be to remedy. I hope it works out for you.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Ooops! by Larry  8/21/00 05:05 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC