> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > tree trunk pieces - what to do about them
Login | Register

tree trunk pieces - what to do about them

Posted by Ray on February 3rd, 2003 12:19 AM

Hi everyone and BOB!! Am wondering (hoping) if y'all can help me with this: I have a friend who cut down 2 trees - one was rotting (I think) from inside and one was too close to falling on his house! but was/seems healthy. He had the guys chop them down to pieces, about 15-20 inches in lenght. I haven't done much woodworking or decorating, but I thought these pieces would be awsome to do something with them for interior deco puposes. The trees are some kind of 'nut' tree, with very textured bark, and i want to keep the bark on. I thought of making two of the wider pieces (about 22 inches wide and 20 inches high) into end tables!! OK here are my questions:

1)How do I make sure these pieces dont' have termites or any bugs before taking them inside the home, and having them spread??!!

2)There's a lot of moss on the bark - how can i get rid of it?

3)the one tree that was unhealhty - is hollow in the middle, looks like it's chewed up, with this stuff that is like oatmeal in the centre!! its not sawdust, its more like very fine mulch - just like oatmeal. Is that due to termites or is it just rotting. or something else??

I live in Southern Ontario, in you can see, I am very paranoid about bringing bugs or termites into our lumber-made home!! I have wanted to expand my creativity and do something with wood for quite some time now. I loved these pieces when i saw them - i thought of somehow putting a glass piese on two of the pieces that are hollow in the middle and make a coffee table!! and use the other two solid ones for end tables. With the bark intact. But I'm new to the handy-man culture, but am willing to learn. So any and all help and feedback from everyone is much appreciated in advance.

PS: please send replies to my email as well - thanks!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC