> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > tree slices
Login | Register

tree slices

Posted by Henry in MI on February 4th, 2003 07:38 AM
In reply to tree trunk pieces - what to do about them by Ray on February 3rd, 2003 10:38 PM [Go to top of thread]

Ray, sorry but I do not agree with your friend about the bugs. Carpenter bees is one quick example of something that can relatively quickly get to where a surface bug killer will not toch them. Ambrosia beetles is another. Looks like the Emerald Ash Borer that is killing all the ash trees in this part of Michigan and working it's way up from Windsor stays pretty shallow but surface sprays for that would be a real blessing. Unless they get that stopped, that will rival Dutch Elm Disease for leaving residential streets bare, eh?

The kind of kiln you want does not go to the high temperature that a ceramic kiln does. The kind that you want will only go up to about 150 degrees F., but it will also stay there for days. The fan set-up on one of these is really as important to get the moisture out of the kiln. I'll bet that someone around your area has one, but, with your thick wood, it would have to stay in for a couple of cycles. Most operators set up their kiln operations for the 4/4 stock that becomes the 1" nominal, 3/4" actual wood that you get at a home center. Some guys that do wood turning do have these for small loads and solar powered ones can be built. You do not have anywhere near enough to justify building a solar kiln. Sorry that I don't have easier answers for you. What town are you in?

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC