> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Train tables
Login | Register

Train tables

Posted by Henry in MI on March 8th, 2003 10:29 AM
In reply to Train Table Plans that Work with Thomas/Brio Sets by Joe on March 7th, 2003 09:48 AM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Joe, there are a lot of problems with the kind of table I think you are considering. It's hard to reach the middle without reaching far. An oval usually has one or two sides against a wall and this makes it worse. I have built over 30 train tables, but not one specifically for Thomas. I would build a loop on one end, a one foot wide section along your wall, and a loop or railroad yard at the other end. You can go around a corner if you can talk your wife out of 2 walls.

You can make this now so that it is on brackets holding it to the wall and high enough for your son. As he grows, you can raise the table every year or 2. Eventually, you will get it high enough to really make use of the storage space under the train table, which will make both your son and wife happy. But with all the room and window configurations that are possible, it isn't really feasible to send a "plan" for this. At this stage, I would put support brackets on every stud and put 3/8" plywood with 1x2 edges screwed to the supports. You may have to add more supports and/or legs under the loop and yard sections. A 1x4, with a lag screw on the bottom for exact length adjustment, makes a good leg and not much of a loss when you go higher. Putting 2 1x4's together in an L shape is even better.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC