> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Tough Spot ...
Login | Register

Tough Spot ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on December 17th, 2001 07:17 AM
In reply to drainage problem by Terry on December 17th, 2001 01:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

HI Terry,

Usually, a channel about 4" wide is 'cut' into the concrete just before the garage door, parallel to the front of the garage. It's sloped to the 'low spot', where there is a pit that has a pump in it. The pump has to be BELOW frost line and has to be able to pump UP to the height you need to get the water away from the garage. So, it's important you account for the depth of the pump as well as the height of the ground that you need to pump up to.

I've seen imaginative setups where the water is collected and pumped INTO the garage and into a gravity pipe that's sloped to the rear of the garage, then out a 'hole' in the wall. I don't know your setup but it's worth considering. If you don't have gutters, I'd get them and drain that water away from the garage too. And if you can, dig a trench along one side that's sloped slightly towards the rear so water running down the grass isn't heading towards the garage and adding to your woes.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC