> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > tool sales
Login | Register

tool sales

Posted by bc on October 30th, 2000 10:44 AM
In reply to Chicago Tools by Dave in Illinois on October 27th, 2000 09:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

I've been to those big tools sales that show up in town for a day or two with a bunch of semi's before they move to the next town. They are right about the Chinese stuff and it depends upon how much you use them. The chinese really pack their stuff with cosmolene grease. Their machining quality is poor. Watch for missing parts as people rummage through the boxes and bolts may be metric. Bought a 1/2 hammerdrill that came with an extra set of brushes and I figured out why cause when it runs it throws out metal chunks out the motor vents which hurts when they hit. It also didn't allow the chuck to stay tight. I think the hammers labeled with hickory handles are really balsa cause they break so easy. I'm afraid to try any of the cheap battery operated stuff. Some of it is nice to have under the work bench just in case. Like Henry said, for the occasionaly diyer, some of it will work just fine (for a while). For $5 I bought a little grinder to take up space under my bench (haven't used it yet). I think the drill presses looked like a good buy. Bought a couple workmate style folding work benches for $15 that I really like. Bought a hydraulic jack that won't hold pressure very long so it is hit or miss for quality. They have a return policy but guess who pays the freight which is more trouble than it is worth. The steel used for wrenches and sockets isn't very hard so they tend to strip easily and the wratches will break. I could go on and on about the Buffalo brand also. Take a wad of cash and a pickup and have fun and load up. There is a sale in town tomorrow so I'll probably be there. The stuff that is a real good bargain in their ads are always out of stock when I get there.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

• Chicago Tools by Dave in Illinois  10/27/00 09:00 PM (: 4, : 1)

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC