> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > too nice of a house??
Login | Register

too nice of a house??

Posted by stefanie on January 17th, 2001 01:14 AM

We've received such nice advice from this board that I need some help again. We just bought property in my sister's neighborhood - 3 acres in a slightly wooded country. Most of the homes are doublewide mobile homes set behind trees, with the exception of one modest house on our block. We've been choosing our home plan and need the help of others who may have been in this situation - or just may have an opinion we'd like to hear.

All of the circumstances tell us to build a large brick home that we'll love and enjoy, but for one factor: it won't "match" the neighborhood. Rather it would be "too good" for it I'm afraid. Knowing that our value would be jeopardized, our only fear is being dubbed the snobs on our street, the target for break-ins, or a laughing stock to our neighbors. Deciding between a smaller home or a dream home is our problem.

We've even thought of building a garage apartment to occupy while our larger home is built. Our restrictions allow this and the apartment would serve as a nice guest home or first place for our son once he's out of school. But it does add more to the worry of having "too much" niceness for the neighborhood.

Perhaps others have their own story to tell. We'd like to know what you think realistically. Are we being too worried to go by the book? Would we be decreasing the value of the other homes, or just ours, or raising theirs? We knew we wanted the property, even if we pass it on to our children or sell it to move later. So deciding what to put is the silliest problem we've ever had to ask!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC