> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > TOO LATE It was SETTLED YEARS AGO.
Login | Register

Posted by Steve Gray on December 17th, 2002 11:48 PM
In reply to QUEST PIPE...BLACK MOLD...ALLERGIES..LAW SUIT? by ROBYN CAPES on December 12th, 2002 10:59 AM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post:
> My Polybutylene, Poly Butyl, Plastic, PB, Quest/Qwest pipe is leaking or brittle, Find Help Here! by Handyman on 10/28/2004

Well you are among thousands of Quest Pipe folks out there with problems. The problem really wasn't the pipe it was the code requirements that were used to install the pipes in homes. This pipe must be installed in the wall loose and not attached!! Like in modular and moble homes. There are 33 million moble home out there with no problems. Unfortunately when they started putting them in residential homes the inspectors not understanding the pipe system made requirements that the pipes be installed in the same way as other piping. No give and clamped every couple of feet. Quest pipe then let go or the fitting started coming loose from not being able to stretch freely. Most leaks were slow drips. Thus when the damage was discovered it was usually significant. Copper fitting never caused a single problem as long as the lines were free to move as originally required. QUEST WAS sued and the courts ruled that Quest could pay those claiming damage up till 2000 at a set fee of some 10 cents a foot without any proof of proper installation. Those requesting more had to have the property inspected. Out of over 40,000 inspections only a handful ever got any additional money. In 2000 Quest went under due to the cost of the inspections and another company bought the rights to the piping system in the banrupcy. It is now sold under the name QUEST PLUS I believe. The reason I know about this is the fact that I recieved a check for $196 for several homes I have Quest pipe in. When it came to problems when it was properly installed (which was not to code) I never had one problem. Tenants could not pay their heat bills and the houses freeze and never a problem from the water pipes. I had sewer line freeze and break and never a water line! THE OLD QUEST IS LONG GONE!

Sad too because it was good stuff in my opinion.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC