> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > to wrap or not wasn't the question...
Login | Register

to wrap or not wasn't the question...

Posted by jb on September 5th, 2000 10:04 AM
In reply to Well ... by Jay J on September 1st, 2000 02:27 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Jay J
I was just going by what tom said. In part, you are debating whether or not to add the house wrap when I was sort of assuming at as a given by what he said. I thought he was saying that he WAS putting house wrap on and he just didn't know whether or not to remove the tar paper. It can be very windy where I live and I am a firm believer in wind barrier house wrap to keep drafts out. Vinyl siding is especially leaky to air infiltration making a good wind barrier even more critical. The old tar paper with no tape on the seams and rips and holes from previous siding will let the house "breath" but that is not a good thing, it is called a draft and is something to be avoided. I talked about the tar paper possible being a double vapor barrier (bad) not just in the present context, as the house is probably too old to have an effective interior vapor barrier, but I assumed that maybe sometime in the future they will renovate a bath or kitchen and end up putting one in then. As I said, it has the "potential" of becoming a double barrier (which can be bad). As long as he is putting up house wrap, as he says, whether or not he removes the tar paper is really not a HUGE issue. I just think there will be less drafts if he does install the wrap as he states he is. JB

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC