> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > To Sue or not to Sue
Login | Register

To Sue or not to Sue

Posted by Stan on February 27th, 2002 09:29 AM

I have been in my 20-year-old home for almost a year. I have had a roof leak somewhere around my chimney since I bought the place. I know I should have gone back on the previous owners but it was my first home and ignorant of my options. It is a little late for that now. In December I was give an estimate of $2000 to redo the 32-ft chimney(two story wood box around a steel fireplace and tube) with the carpenter telling me he was confident he could fix the leak if he redid the chimney. He found rotted wood and did a little extra work so the bill came to more like $2900. Well it rained recently and I still have a leak in the same place at about the same rate of water flow, a constant dripping. Now he is reluctant to do anymore real work and wants to tar around the "cricket." I could have done that $2900 ago and told him so. He did a good job on the chimney but the selling point was he said he could fix the leak if he redid the chimney. He is a good carpenter but is unlicensed(I know, I know, hammer me on that one. What are my options? What is a cricket and are they difficult to replace(that may be where the problem is)? Should I sue? On what grounds? Help!!!!!!!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC