> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > To Catch The Water ...
Login | Register

To Catch The Water ...

Posted by Jay J on September 23rd, 1999 10:40 AM
In reply to Water in garage by Art Punsoni on September 23rd, 1999 09:49 AM [Go to top of thread]

(John and Ron: I'm not looking to steal your thunder but I have an idea for Art ...)

To be honest w/you, Art, I don't know if there's a technical name for what I'm about to describe but I'll describe what I have in mind. There are these 'cut-in-channels' that have a steel grate over them that are usually cut out of the driveway in front of buildings like garages to catch water and send it to the side. (I've seen them at car dealerships, Midas, Speedy, etc., etc..) At the same time, because the grate is steel, you can drive over it. The trench is also steel or plastic-lined (so as to extend its life with freezing and thawing issues), and sloped towards one or both ends, where the water is less of a problem. (What you do from there I can't say since I don't know the immediate landscaping on either side of the garage.)

My Dad built one of these steel-covered trenches in front of his barn, and it slopes to one side where the water is then 'dumped' into a 4" PVC pipe and sent behind the barn. (His landscape around the garage slopes from front to back at a grade of about 1" per foot.) If this is an option, maybe Ron and John can tell you where you can get the grate along with the other specs. My Dad's trench is about 6" wide (with a lip for the grate), and only about 4" deep. As with any type of gutter that gets a lot of debris, he layed a fine mesh on top of the grate and folded it under a bit so it won't come off. Now he can rake or sweep off any debris w/o the screen on the grate coming loose. (I wouldn't permanently attach the screen to the grate in case you have to take it off.)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC