> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > tips
Login | Register

Posted by bc on February 4th, 2000 12:26 AM
In reply to condensation by Gary Noe on February 3rd, 2000 05:47 AM [Go to top of thread]

Look at some of the other posts on this board about condensation and insulation. There is no easy answer. Humans trapped inside a house during cold dry weather just create a lot of humidity. Try a dehumidifier, open a couple windows a little to get the outside and inside humidity to balance, exhaust fans, fresh air intakes on the furnace, etc. Closed curtains on the windows helps the air next to the window reach the dew point quicker so open them up to allow air to circulate.

About anything you do, may help increase your heating bill. Single pane windows and metal framed(which have a lesser insulation factor) windows seem to have more of a problem. Make sure they are sealed but don't seal any seep holes. It may boil down to spending a bunch of cash or just live with it during certain times in the winter except your window frames will eventually get water damage over the years. I have seen some people cover their roof ventilators in the winter thinking that it will save them on heating when in actuality, it will cost them more because of moisture problems.

In my house, I have a couple places with condensation. I have a humidifier(not running now) but want to add a whole house HEPA filter and ionizer and if I am going to do that then I may as well add fresh air intakes and a dehumidifier to completely control the environment. That just isn't in the budget yet. My wife and daughter have other things that seem to take care of the budget.

Talk to your builder to see if he has any remedies. He should warranty it for a year. See what brand and type of windows they are, go to their website and email them with your problem. If you come up with an answer to anything, then post back to let us all know. Remove a window casing or have the builder do it to see if he insulated the gaps around the windows. The builder may deny it, but one of the workers may have skipped it. He may have used a budget window that just doesn't insulate as well.

Since you have a window problem, try cracking open each window and make sure the curtain is open. Post back with the results in couple days. Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC