> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Tiling your counter
Login | Register

Tiling your counter

Posted by Steve: on October 16th, 2000 05:08 PM
In reply to tile my kitchen counter top by J Baker on October 15th, 2000 10:43 PM [Go to top of thread]

JB is absolutely right on about your formica laminate. Me, I would rip it off. If not, you sure would hate for it to release later on.

This is an easy project, but you will need some basic tools: nippers, good tile cuter, mastic trowel, and grouting tool. On a kitchen cabinet, be sure and use only water proof mastic. Then be sure and silicon seal your grout after three days.

All tile is 4 1/4 X 4 1/4. Plan your size and length. Plan on raising your sink so that the apron hangs or protrudes over the new tile.

Bull nose's are the nice rounded off end pieces that will take the sharp edge off the front edges. There is also a piece for the wall section that adapts nicely to the counter top tiles.

Get one of those How to's at you home center and possibly attend a tile demo at the same home center. Its fun, and neat, but you do need some basics. The cutting of the tile requires some practice. But if you have your tiles that you need cutting, then take them to a tile shop and they will cut them for you.

Good Luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC