> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Tile on laminate
Login | Register

Tile on laminate

Posted by Henry in MI on May 23rd, 2001 05:10 PM
In reply to another laminate... by Steve: on May 23rd, 2001 04:03 PM [Go to top of thread]

Steve:, I believe that it was John2000 and not me that made that comment. In fact, I made a tile topped table and it is holding up really well. The top that I used was 2 pieces of 3/4" AC plywood wrapped with rabbeted Southern Yellow Pine. SYP legs, too. The edges were rabbeted to be a little above the tile in the field and the two pieces of the top were glued together with Carpenter's Wood Glue and weighted for a couple of days on flat surface.

Rita, I don't know if you could use contact cement to hold a piece of 3/4" AC ply to the industrially glued chipboard with the laminate removed. Seems like it would probably work but they can use some products commercially that consumers can not buy. Whatever products you use, be sure to follow label directions and safety instructions. Contact Cement can be dangerous to work with.

My tile store suggested that I use a latex sealer to "waterproof" the wood before I applied tile adhesive, tile, grout and then grout sealer. Rita, you might check with a tile store in your area as they might have some better answers on the laminate.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC