> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Throwing good money after bad...
Login | Register

Throwing good money after bad...

Posted by Jim -ATS on March 13th, 2000 11:39 AM
In reply to refridgerator door panels by June Oros on March 11th, 2000 12:44 PM [Go to top of thread]

Your question sent my mind to thinking. Your refrigerator is 14 years old, which is nearing the end of its useful life. In the not too distant future, the compressor on this appliance is likely to need a major overhaul-replacement. I suspect that more than a few parts need replacement or repair by now, and that the whole refrigerator is looking somewhat less than new.

Stainless Door Kits for any refrigerator can be very expensive, and a bit of a trick to install. Finding a kit for a 14 year old refrigerator would not be something I would expect to be able to do at all. HOWEVER, if you really are serious about this, please repost with a model number (should be on a sticker on the inside of the refer door or inside the freezer, usually on the edge of the door itself.)

I will try to find a website for you to obtain it, but not without the model number.

Your other options would be to fabricate a kit yourself, essentially consisting of a plastic frame with channels to hold the SS panels in place. Use a little contact cement on the refer surface, install three sides of the frame, put in the panel and install the last side. BE CAREFUL DRILLING SCREWS INTO THE REFER BODY< DON'T HIT ANY COMPRESSOR / WATER / ELECTRIC lines...

If it were me, I'd just get a new refrigerator, there have been many advances in that appliance in the last 10 years that are really worth looking at.

Good luck, and get the model number if you still want to do this...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC