> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > three way switch and light fixture installation
Login | Register

three way switch and light fixture installation

Posted by Jean Delpy on April 26th, 2003 12:56 PM
In reply to Three way switch installation by Jim on December 17th, 1999 01:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

I'm trying to install three light fixtures betwen two three way switches.

I've got the power (2 wire cable) coming into the three way switch. 3 wire cable then runs to the first fixture. In Switch #1, I've tied the whites together and connect both the black wires and the red wire to the switch. At the first fixture, I've got the incoming white going to the white fixture wire, the outgoing black to the black fixture wire and the two reds tied. The incoming black is connected to the outgoing white. I follow the same pattern to second the thrid fixture.(incoming white to fixture, outgoing black to fixture and tieing hte incoming black to the outgoing white.) Always using 3 wire cable. The three wire cable then runs from the last fixture to Switch #2. I connected the red, white and black to the switch.

I get some power to the fixtures, but only dim light. The breaker does not trip.

I tried reversing the sequence at the secon fixture. Incoming black go to fixture, outgoing white goes to fixture and incoming white and outgoing black are tied together, same result.

Any suggestions.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC