> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Three way switch
Login | Register

Three way switch

Posted by MaryJ on February 25th, 2003 01:32 AM
In reply to wiring a three way switch by Eugenie Kimball on January 30th, 2000 04:30 PM [Go to top of thread]

I have a long hall and a switch at each end and a light in the middle. I put new modern switches in to replace my old looking ones. I matched up the wires just like I took them off the old switch, BUT it does not work correct. If one of the two switches is in the OFF position then the other one at the end of the hall will not turn on. It is acting like a single pole switch, but its not one. I need insite as to how I can trouble shoot this and HOW do I know which wire is which?? I read my Home depot 123 book but I am not sure if the red is the common wire or the black, and which is the traveler to the other switch. I have three wires involved. A white (which was on the ground, and I kept it that way), a red one, and a black. Do I put the black on the black screw ?? The lights do work, but only if the other is in the ON position. I also did the same thing to my kitchen, but my single pole ones work great. I am also wondering if I do connect the black to the black screw DOES that mean that the other switch at the other end of the hall also has the black wire to the black screw or vise versa ??? Is Black HOT or red HOT ?? I am confused.. Please help..

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC