> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > thoughts...
Login | Register

Posted by jb on March 14th, 2002 01:08 PM
In reply to Fabulon Floor Finish Questions by Debbie Brooks on March 14th, 2002 08:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

First of all, we can't really answer regarding "different" because you didn't tell us how you are applying it.

I assume you are using all oil based poly. You didn't say how you were applying it - what type of applicator, lambswool pad? Are you just talking about surface brush marks showing or is the "streaking" some sort of color differences, etc. within the finish? What brand poly are you using? Is it the same brand as the under-coats? What are you doing between coats, screening, vacuum, tack cloth?

I always try to use high gloss for at least my first coat and then satin for final. High gloss is a harder finish but too shiny for me. This matters more for softer floors like pine but cherry is hard so it probably doesn't help really. I always use the same brand for all coats. The brush marks might just keep telegraphing through unless you give the floor a really good screening to perfectly smooth it between coats. I don't know if there is any such thing as a "perfect" finish with absolutely no brush marks. I always pour a line of poly on the floor and spread and smooth it with a lambswool pad applicator. If you use enough (not too thick though for any one coat) and spread it quickly and have proper surface preparation then it should come out fine.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC