> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > thoughts...
Login | Register

Posted by jb on March 5th, 2002 11:20 AM
In reply to I have steel studs in my basement and no such ghosting.. by BobF on March 5th, 2002 06:06 AM [Go to top of thread]

I think you are getting at something here. Is this only happening on EXTERIOR walls? First you need to determine if the stain is coming through from the other side and migrating through the drywall (which I really doubt). The only way to tell for sure is to remove a piece of the drywall where a stain actually is and examine the inside for discoloration, which I doubt you will find. You most likely have some sort of soot in your house. One source could be the insulation in your furnace or air ducts, if you have a forced hot air system and a certain amount of this could be considered "normal". The reason the soot is oulining the studs may be (if only on exterior walls) that there is no thermal break with the studs and the drywall is slightly cooler at the studs and a little more condensation is there (not visually noticeable most likely) for the soot to stick to. Also, maybe the steel has a natural charge or weak magnetism that attracts the soot. Of course, if you are burning candles then all bets are off. If you have an oil burning furnace then you might have a downdraft problem and need a chimney cap.
Also see:

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC