> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thoughts ...
Login | Register

Thoughts ...

Posted by Jay J -MOderator on September 29th, 2001 02:41 PM
In reply to leaky roof by rennie on September 29th, 2001 12:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi rennie,

First off, it's hard to say from here what EXACTLY you should do. However, I'd consider talking to your insurance company for 'guidance'. Perhaps they know a Pro that will come over and evaluate the 'situation' for $50 or $100. DO realize that 1) the Insurance company isn't saying they'll pay for anything, and 2) you'll be responsible for the Fee. IMO, that's $$$ well spent considering that later on, you may pay MORE to have 'things' fixed.

If the insulation got ENTIRELY wet and matted, then you DO have a real problem. (Sight unseen,) If the insulation 'looks normal' (which is best said by a Pro that's on site), then you don't need to replace it. If the drywall is 'sagging and soft', it should be replaced. I guess you'd have to consider that if the moisture that IS in the insulation (assuming it isn't sagging and is looking normal), can evaporate and 'escape' the attic, you might be OK. I guess that what I'm saying is I'd talk to the Insurance company first for guidance. If they can't help, ask what to do. At worst, if you're left in the position you're in, just hire the Pro and get his 'results' in writing. You may find that a Home Inspector will do the check for a small fee. Make sure you ASK what exprerience the Home Inspector has in the trades so you're sure he's qualified (and not some ex-computer programmer that took a study-at-home course to become a H.I.!) If you're still left 'hanging', e-mail me directly and tell me what you've done so far (and what others have said) and I'll see if I can 'guide' you.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: Get your 'evaluation' in writing. If the Pro asks who did your roof, don't tell them because you don't want any bias or favoratism. (Tell him you'll say AFTER his evaluation ...)

PPS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC