> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thoughts ...
Login | Register

Thoughts ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on August 27th, 2001 08:47 AM
In reply to nail pops in kitchen floor by Linda McInnis on August 26th, 2001 05:19 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Linda,

You have a few things going on here.

Nail pops are usually associated with the movement of wood working the nails loose. As to the cause of the wood moving, thus 'working' the nails loose, is debatable as to whether or not it's happening as a result of walking or temperature changes (from the ductwork below.)

Neither here nor there, you want to insulate the ENTIRE duct. There is a product called Duct Wrap that you can buy at the Home Center. Since it sounds like you have access to ALL 4 sides, I'd consider insulating all 4 sides. Otherwise, you will still experience some condensation but it may be limited to the TOP of the duct. And, if there's enough moisture, it will 'run' into your insulation rendering it useless (over time.)

Do you know how the moist air is getting into the basement? Or is the basement heated but the duct is cold (which is causing your condensation?)

If you floor is 'bouncy', I'll bet it's the result of movement even though it coincides w/the ductwork. But again, neither here nor there, if the addition of your dehumidifier 'fixed' the problem, that's great. Just be sure to insulate the duct. Please don't install it in such a way that it's COMPRESSED. This is BAD for the insulation. Cut the insulation when it need to go around something. Also insulate your hot and cold water pipes. They sell insulation for that in the Home Centers too. (JUst ask someone in the aisle for the tubing.)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC