> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thoughts ...
Login | Register

Thoughts ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on July 23rd, 2001 09:25 PM
In reply to Ventilation needed for new siding? by Cecilia H. on July 23rd, 2001 02:31 PM [Go to top of thread]

HI Cecilia,

In a perfect scenario, an UNFINISHED attic as well as a finished one it would be 'very practical' to have soffit vents and a ridge vent installed for ventilation AND to keep the attic roof cool as well as the attic 'space' cool. I HAD (note the past tense) your particular setup until I installed vinyl siding. The only difference was I ripped out the wood that's called the Soffit. Your Contractor is suggesting that holes be drilled every 4 feet or so BUT the RIGHT way is to have ventilation holes between EACH AND EVERY set of roof rafters. In a sense, your Contractor is suggesting you only 'vent' essentially EVERY OTHER rafter. I don't agree. Suggest he vent EVERY set of rafters or (as I did) rip out the soffit (wood) and install Vinyl Soffit. Again, he's recommending a short cut. IN short, I'd vent anyways.

Instead of trying to say too much, poke around these sites

Ventilation Systems and Attic Ventilation

If you have more ?'s, post back. Again, in short, DO vent the attic AND vent between EACH and EVERY rafter (either by drilling or by removing the existing wood) and installing Vinyl Soffits. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC