> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thoughts ...
Login | Register

Thoughts ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on April 13th, 2001 02:08 PM
In reply to what to do with ABESTOS SHINGLES by Lisa on April 12th, 2001 10:47 PM [Go to top of thread]

HI Lisa,

You could start by searching the Message Board for the keywork asbestos. Skip the posts that don't talk about Asbestos Shingles. A few times, I (among others) have addressed this very question. I will give you the 'short version' after which you can search the Message Board (with your Browser's Find / Search feature) ...

In short, I wouldn't cover them up. Wear gloves, a long sleeve white shirt, and loose pants. You don't necessarily need a 'surgical mask' as long as you don't break them. It's the dust from breakage that is the hazard. Handling them isn't (as long as you take the precaution of wearing gloves.) I'm not clear if you're doing this job yourself. IF you are, then dismantle one side at a time, and hang your new siding. Consider hanging some 1/2" insulation board in the process. Use 'chalk' to mark your studs so you know where to nail. DON'T order the dumpster until you've finished the job. If you do, your neighbors will fill it during the 'dark hours'. Stack them in the yard or driveway until you're finished. BEFORE you order the dumpster, bring out an other 'stuff' you want to get rid of. Kinda make a 'list' for the hauler as to what you're throwing away and he'll get the right size. Then, pack it tightly. IF there's any free room when you're finished filling it, SELL the space to your neighbors for a few $$$. DON'T fill it above the top. The Hauler could get fined (and you'll pay.) You may want to wait until you're finished the NEW siding because you'll have waste from that too. Once you get your siding off, that's the time to think about adding outdoor electrical 'blocks' and hose bibs /spiggots / bubbler / sillcock.

More details about shingle removal are in the Posts. I mostly talk about that and installing vinyl siding but 'absorbe' what you can. As to your 4 x 8 wood siding, I have no clue as to what it is. And I can't see your house from here to tell you what to do. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC