> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > thoughts...
Login | Register

Posted by jb on November 21st, 2000 02:18 PM
In reply to House Moisture by Lance Woinarowicz on November 21st, 2000 10:13 AM [Go to top of thread]

I can't imagine that your house is too humid in the cold winter weather. If you have single pane windows and no storms then the only way to stop ice on the windows is to stop breathing. Usually double pane (insulated) lights (windows) don't freeze up because the outer pane is cold and the inner pane is warmer (above freezing). In my house I have double pane, insulated windows with single pane storm windows outside and I get frost on the storm window. If you think your throat is dry now, try running a dehumidifier in the winter, Ouch! Most houses need a humidifier in the winter as they are way too dry otherwise. You basically take the outside air that is cold and dry (cold air hold MUCH less water vapor than warm air) and then heat it up with your furnace and it is then 2-3 times drier from a relative humidity standpoint. Granted, once you heat it up it will hold more moisture than the outside air and it picks this up from breathing and tubs, sinks and showers etc., then this condenses on uninsulated glass and freezes. Just because this happens doesn't mean you have too much humidity, it means that it is really cold out and you need replacement windows, or... just live with it.

Of course if you do have insulated glass then it IS possible that your humidity is too high, but I would wager this is from a ventless gas heating appliance or from a dangerously non-venting gas fired furnace (flue clogged creating humidity and possibly death).

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC