> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > thoughts...
Login | Register


Posted by jb on October 11th, 2000 10:31 AM
In reply to fire damage by tnt on October 11th, 2000 10:04 AM [Go to top of thread]

My standard advise is to pay for a certified home inspector (if you haven't bought it already) to review all aspects of the property with you. This way you will get a second opinion and to-do list. It may cost you more since this isn't the standard inspection.
There isn't much we can do here to advise you, other than in very general terms, since we can't see the house and don't know any specifics of the damages etc. It would seem to me to be a pretty straightforward process to determine what wood/joists/studs/subfloor needed replacement without too much difficulty. When in doubt, chuck it out, I always say. I would be curious about how to determine if any of the wiring was still any good. You may end up removing all of the drywall to do adequate inspections. Sure, there is a potential to save a bundle of money if you can pick it up for a song and if a lot of it is salvagable. Your main challenge may be deciding what is the best use of your time vs. what would be best subbed out. Remember, carpenters usually end up living in partially completed houses for most of their lives. If I were you, I would try to enforce some time limits on your husband, otherwise he gets some more subcontractor help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC