> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thoughts ...
Login | Register

Thoughts ...

Posted by Jay J on August 17th, 2000 02:36 PM
In reply to Termites by Steven Pettigrew on August 17th, 2000 01:19 PM [Go to top of thread]

It's really hard to say from here if $1000 is a good deal. We don't know where you live and we don't know what Terminix is doing for $1000. PLUS, is Terminix planning on returning on a periodic basis, and charging you some more??!

If you lived in the Amazon jungle where conditions are RIPE year-round for termites, then I'd say get OUT of Dodge. But since I'm going to assume you live in the continental US, you may want to consider approaching the problem from a different angle. You MAY be able to solve this problem on your own. BUT, before you do so, you have to become a termite in order to understand them.

Termites like a constant, warm, moist environmental conditions. If you can dramatically 'alter' any, or all, of these conditions, you may get rid of the problem. For example, if you have leaking gutters or ones that over-flow, perhaps if you fix them, the termites will go some place else. In doing this fix, you've altered the 'moist' part of the conditions. Perhaps, for example, you have a lot of vegetation and shade where the termites are at. If you trim your trees, prune your bushes, and improve air flow and let some sun in, you've altered a COUPLE of the conditions in which they thrive. So, you see, it may not take much effort to get rid of your problem.

During the next rain storm (minus the lightening), put on some boots and a raincoat, and grab an umbrella. When the rain is really coming down, walk around your ENTIRE house and look at your gutters and downspouts. If there are any 'fixes' to be made, have them done. At the same time, look DOWN as well and see if any of the water is running TOWARDS your foundation. If so, you have the wrong sloping. Your sloping needs to be graded AWAY from your foundation. You only need 1/4" per foot for at least 3' to create a positive impact on our problem. AT worst, extend your downspouts further away from your foundation, or move them to another side of the house if it means keeping water AWAY from the foundation.

So, you see, if you want to get rid of termites, become one and see what you WON'T like about the 'situation' in order for you (as a termite) to move on. That $1000 may help in the short-term but I'm sure it won't help in the long-term. The 'tips' I've provided will help with the latter. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: A very good article can be found at Termites, Prevention, and Cures. You want to look very hard at the 'Prevention' part of the article. Still, familiarize yourself about Termites so you know more!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

• Termites by Steven Pettigrew  8/17/00 01:19 PM

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC