> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thinking of buying a fixer-upper...lotsa problems
Login | Register

Thinking of buying a fixer-upper...lotsa problems

Posted by Angalea on April 28th, 2003 06:44 AM

We are thinking of buying a fixer upper house that needs alot of exterior work it is 28 years old and has not be maintained at all. Let me give you a list of my concerns...

1. All the windows and doors are rotted around the frame, I can see that they have been leaking water as there are minor cracks in the drywall around the windows.

2. There is a LARGE family of woodpeckers living in the house...i.e. there are woodpeckers all over in the cedar siding, so I know that needs to be replaced...but what other problems may they have caused?

3. It has THREE layers of shingles...I cannot figure out why a 28 year old house would need three layers of shingles. Plus the bottom two layers are in really bad shape and I can see that the roof has leaked in some spots and that there is probably some issues with icedaming.

There are other issues that I am not listing because I feel fairly knowledgeable in those areas, but I'm not sure about these three and the "hidden" problems that could be there.

I would appreciate any info!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC