> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > thinking about this one
Login | Register

thinking about this one

Posted by BEG on December 6th, 1999 09:56 PM
In reply to Using steel studs by Troy T on December 6th, 1999 07:38 PM [Go to top of thread]

Steel studs are good......except when they are
directly in contact with moisture........metal....
.......rust......etc. I do not know how you are building your wall, but this problem must be considered. You could use steel columns (as discussed in a previous editorial,I live in the west where we install "barbed war" and we use steel corner posts left over from the oil drilling days) that take decades to rust through, or you could use treated material (and I mean the good stuff, like 060 or better, not the 040 material you buy at Builder's Square)and then attach your metal studs to that.
Personally, I am a little conserned about the brick business. Depending on the configuration of the wall, it is probably going to move. Movement and brick don't mix. As far as that goes, stucco is not much better. But if you live in an area where the freeze and thaw is minimum, I have seen this work pretty well. I have even seen the metal lathe attached directly to the studs and a "southwestern style" wall installed. Tons of options there.

I have avoided your question as to "how" to install so I am really not helping you. I am sure that there are others that will be in here to more accruately answer your question in that regard. But,I just wanted to put in my two cents worth dealing with the method and design of what you were where you're heading.

Good luck

If stucco is your thing, I'd go for it (minus the brick) and if it doesn't work, what the heck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC