> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thermostat consolidation/location
Login | Register

Thermostat consolidation/location

Posted by Blair Dobbs on October 23rd, 2002 03:32 PM

Thermostat consolidation/location

My question is: should I put my heat and AC systems on one thermostat? (they currently each have their own thermostat.) And if yes, which floor should the thermostat be on? (they currently are on different floors.)

Both of the existing thermostats are manual, and I would like to have a single programmable thermostat that controls both systems. My house is an end-unit row house with three floors - a finished basement, ground floor, and second floor. There is no attic, but a few feet of crawl space above the second floor.

The heating system consists of a gas-fired boiler in the basement, the thermostat on the ground floor, and radiators throughout the house. As for the central air, the condenser is on the roof, the air-handler is in the crawl space with its air intake flush with the second floor ceiling, the thermostat is on the second floor on the wall just below the air handler, and ducts throughout the second and ground floor, but not in the basement. (I’m not too sure how AC works, I hope I’m calling these things by the correct names.)

The AC was installed in 1994 by a previous owner, and I’m guessing the thermostat was put on the second floor b/c that was easier than running wire down to the ground floor? Or is there another reason for it to be on the second floor? I don’t know when the heating system’s thermostat was placed where it is, but is it also there b/c its closer to the boiler, or is there another reason to have it on the ground floor? If I want to consolidate these thermostats, which floor should I go with? Or is there a reason I shouldn’t consolidate these thermostats?

Thanks for your help,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Thermostats by Andrew in NY  10/23/02 04:06 PM
  • Thanks by Blair Dobbs  10/23/02 04:46 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC