> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > There May Be A Best Way ...
Login | Register

There May Be A Best Way ...

Posted by Jay J on February 23rd, 2000 01:40 PM
In reply to best way to remove carpet tacking strips? by zgrav on February 23rd, 2000 11:45 AM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

... But what I use is whatever can do the job, and just be careful.

I've used a combination of a putty knife, a baseboard pry bar, and a claw hammer. Since you'll be working close to the wall/edges, IF you do any damage, it will be relegated to the edges which will be very un-noticible. If you're NOT refinishing the floor, start with a spackle knife, pry up a little, and work your way down the strip BEING CAREFUL. You simply work up the strip a little at a time. At some point, you can put down a 1/4" 'block' of wood, and use a claw hammer to get it up the rest of the way.

Now, if you plan on refinishing the floor, still be careful but you needn't be as cautious since you'll be doing some sanding. (If you damage the floor to 1/8" depth, I'll have to assume you're using a back-hoe to pry up the strips!) And if you want to fill the holes in w/putty, I have a little trick to get you through it. Just e-mail me direclty on this. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC