> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > There all still there, there just not indexed
Login | Register

There all still there, there just not indexed

Posted by Ron on December 23rd, 1999 09:25 AM
In reply to Deathless prose by Henry in MI on December 22nd, 1999 05:52 PM [Go to top of thread]

There sort of lost, because there is no index for them. But all the messages are still out there. All 15,000+ of them.

In your browsers Address Location area, Henry's "Deathless prose" message is number 15377. Try replacing that number with a small number, say 82. You will get a messsage about Beaver Board posted in July 97. Over two years ago.

If someone had too much time on there hands, they could categorize these classics. They could view all 15,000 of them one by one. They could select the best ones and develop an index by number under specific categories. Then they could post this index so we all cound have access to it. However, you would have to enter the number of the post. There would not be active links.

Every 3 months they could repost the Classics Index for all of us to use. It could look sort of like the following:

------Hardwood Floors------
removing paint-----11020
pet urine stains----9234
fixing gouges------14324

-----Removing Paint From Brick-------
Dow do I remove paint from brick?-----12032
Painted brick-------------------------13203
How do I paint my brick?---------------8345
I'm Thick as a Brick-------------------4534

This is a phoney list, and the numbers shown are not real. I do not have the time to do this. However, if there is a marter out there reading this, I say "Go to Town Buster Brown"

Another thought, since all the posts are still out there. I wonder if someone at the site could quickly produce a complete list of topics and message numbers from start to finish in an ASCII file. It could be emailed to whoever wanted it. The regulars could reference old posts by number to others when providing info.

As far as the current size of the index, its sort of a tradeoff keeping it small enough so that usability doesn't suffer. An option would be reconfigurating the New Post window at the very top of the site versus at the bottom. This would eliminate long waits and frestration in order to start a new thread. I know that the people at are very busy so I'll just keep wishing for these things for Christmas. I think they provide us with a great tool. These are just recommendations as to what might make it even better.

Wishing all the posters and people at a happy holiday. Party Hardy...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC