> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > The tree is NOT doing your foundation
Login | Register

The tree is NOT doing your foundation

Posted by Moderator, Steve on November 29th, 2002 04:39 PM
In reply to Roots Under Foundation by Deb on November 29th, 2002 02:56 PM [Go to top of thread]

any good that is for sure. The shame is the beautiful tree that was just planted at the wrong spot, that is for sure.

Do you have any structural and foundation problems now?

An oak does have massive roots, but normally they are deep under the ground. Those top ground trees like tallow, mulberry, and mimosa are the ones that cause the most foundation troubles, because they are so shallow.

I have first hand seen a process that envolves digging a trench about 4 feet deep around the foundation area where the tree is and to literally chop in to all the roots going toward your foundation. This can be done with a chain saw and a sharp sharpshooter shovel made for this purpose.

I live in Dallas, Texas and I have an aquaintance that is our local horticulturalist, his name is Howard Garrett. His web site is: give him a email and entertain the situation you have and what he would suggest. Howard is on our local radio stations and is a person just like Neil Sperry, surely you have heard of him.

He will direct you on what is the best course of action. Remember, though, he is a true red blooded tree hugger.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC