> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > The State of On-Line Forums.
Login | Register

The State of On-Line Forums.

Posted by Joe Fusco on June 21st, 1998 01:36 PM

I would like to comment on the state of "on-line forums".

It's hard to phantom the depth of diverse opinions that can be expressed here, simply put, the whole spectrum..., from
"Top-of-the-line" to "They wasted good space of that...". Everyone has a right to their own opinion, hopefully, it will have
some value. The thing that bothers me, is the level of expertise that some "Contributors" claim to have. How does anyone
know the information he/she receives form a poster is accurate, suitable and safe for their particular circumstances? When some
of these questions are read by experienced tradesmen, they know the level of skill that the poster possesses, and most of the
time these questions have no simple answers. Yet many "Contributors" choose to try and answer these questions, with
statements like "call a contractor" or site some "code book", which really does nothing for the person posting the question.
There posting because they don't what to call a contractor, and believe that someone is going to tell them "how" to remove a
40 ft section of exterior block and brick wall on a three story dwelling so they can add an addition (crazy, is it not?). My point
being anyone who would try to answer this type of question is just plain foolish, or is trying to sound informed. Anyone who
would fellow their advice might be even more foolish! My tact is just to pass it by, I wish others would too.

There are so many approaches to common tasks, many depend on one's level of skill, and the amount of money they want to
spend. Leave it to say, some are better than others. The point here is that some "Contributors" berate others for their postings,
to what avail is this done? To show their informativeness or their megalomania? Frankly I don't care. I have been engaged
myself with this "type" before and find it a totally useless endeavor! No one glove will fit all hands!

My hat comes off for the the men in the field, you like myself work through many of the same problems everyday. Not every
one of our solutions are the "best" but they teach us something for the next time. The point here once again is if "
anyone" feels they have a "better" answer, just post it, we'll know how good it is or isn't! No need to berate anyone!
I will concede this, some postings are really bad, I can only hope no one follows this advice!

Lastly, just like quality work.......the cream will always rise to the top here too.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC