> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > The problem with DIY shows....
Login | Register

The problem with DIY shows....

Posted by Ed Parker on February 8th, 2000 09:16 AM
In reply to BOB IS A MORON by Allen K. on February 7th, 2000 11:31 PM [Go to top of thread]

I've ofetn thought many of the DIY shows on the air these days give the wrong impressions that "anyone" can do the stuff that experienced tradespeople can, just by seeing how it's done and getting a cursery education in materials and processes. I have been infuriated at times to see true craftsmanship get reduced to mere weekend tasks that any average homeowner can accomplish. Everytime the "actors" have a somewhat grueling aspect, they break for commercial and the demolition, dust, and debris have all been cleaned up when they return, and they're ready to explain the glorious parts. I feel many homeowners just do not give much crdit to those that work on their homes and get the idea they're getting ripped off when a custom job has a price tag they're not prepared to pay. Now, as for *** **** and his shows, I've always felt he was honest and up front with the projects they do. They show the dumpsters, the mess, and interview the homeowners for a realistic view of what true remodeling is like. They discuss realistic budget information and let people know that quality indeed costs and give credit to craftsmen that have mastered their trades. If you read Bob's Bio, elsewhere on this site, you'll see he did not come up in the trades but attended college as a journalism major, and later received education in architecture. Of course, his true experience is limited, yet his overall knowledge of ALL the trades is remarkable. It takes camera presence to be able to make a good presentation that is enjoyable to watch, and he has that gift. Luckily, he relies on others to explain the details, like Norm and Riley. Woriking in front of a camera is not as easy as it looks and I'd rather watch him than a show hosted by Fred, the overweight plumber, or Chuck the painter, or George the concrete finisher. Just wouldn't make for good television without a charismatic host to bring it all together. Bob does a pretty good job, in my opinion. But hey, you're entitled to yours too....

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC