> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > The Color Of Brick ...
Login | Register

The Color Of Brick ...

Posted by Jay J on September 21st, 1999 08:38 AM
In reply to Changing the shade of brick by Sarah on September 20th, 1999 06:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

Thank goodness you're not asking to paint the brick because on this Forum, you would be subjecting yourself to a lamb-basting! There isn't a 'regular soul' on this Forum (that I know of) that would encourage you to paint brick. (Moving right along ...)

As you may know (or may not know), brick is a breathable material. The inner part of the brick is softer than the outer part because the firing process heats the outside (and hardens it) faster than the inside. Thus, the brick actually 'breathes'. It absorbes moisture and gives it off too. If you were to do anything to the outer layer of the brick (like paint it, or 'stain' it, or seal it, or scrape it), you run the risk of accelerating the natural aging process of the brick. Brick is maintenance-free when left in it's 'natural' state. You don't have to paint it or stain it or seal it to prevent it from aging, like you have to do to wood. At most, a low-pressure washing for mold/mildew is all that's done. (I'll skip the pointing process ...)

I know you can buy brick in almost any shade these days. You'll have to shop around at the Home Centers, Gravel Yards, Quarry Pits, Stone Yards, and the like to get what you want but that's my advice on this one. If someone doesn't have it, ask if they know where you can get what you want. (I call it Networking with people.) My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC