> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > The big slab
Login | Register

The big slab

Posted by Bruce M on March 16th, 1998 09:13 PM
In reply to leveling concrete by terry on March 16th, 1998 02:18 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Terry
The one time I poured a large monolith like you are describing, I got very sore arms. I used two very straight 16 ft 2X6's with 1X4's screwed to each side to keep it from sagging when I screeded to a 2X6 center board on a 28 foot wide slab. I did both sides of the center board at once, doing one side for a bit then moving the screed over to the other side.

All garage slabs should be pitched to the center of the slab and then pitched to the front door, at 1/16 to 1/8" drop per foot. Otherwise, you will get standing water from car run off when it rains that you will have to squeegie out :-(

Were I to do such a wide monolith again, I think I would do two screed boards, 10 ft apart, using a 2X6 for the center screed-off board, cutting a 1/8" per foot V in this board, and simply rod off the concrete rather than the side-to-side screeding motion. Does this make sense. That way the two side sections can be screeded off as normal and the center section, once rodded off, will just require a bit more bull-floating to move the cement up to the surface.

I guess I'm thinking out loud here, but its the only way I can think to do this, using managably short screeding boards and keep a pitch to the slab.

Don't know if this helps...hope so.

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC