> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > That's it!
Login | Register

That's it!

Posted by Brian (Tankless) Wood. on May 28th, 2001 08:43 PM
In reply to dryer receptical by Rhann on May 28th, 2001 03:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I've studied at the *** **** "Fixit For'em" and "Old Board" for three years, as well as being a regular guest at "Holliday Inn Express Hotels".
IMHO, if I were you, I'd get an inexpensive electrical multi-meter, and make sure that the black & red wires actually are the hot wires that you expect them to be.
With the wires sticking out, (children and animals at a safe distance) and not touching each other or anything else, turn the power on and switch the tester to an A.C. volt range higher than 120. You should get a 120v reading (or thereabouts) when you touch the tester leads between black & Ground & black & white. Also; 120v between red & ground or white.
If that's what you have, turn the power off, and connect it just the way Mike advised.
*These connections need to be very tight. Dryers pull a lot of amps (usually around 21A), and if the connections are loose, they WILL overheat and could possibly cause a fire.
I'm staying at the Lake Charles, LA. Holliday Inn Express this weekend, where I'm cramming for Deck building, asbestos shingle abatement, dog pee removal from "Pergo", and Hydronic heating. Wish me luck.
Please don't forget to give prayers and thanks to the Glorious men and women who served to help preserve the freedoms we enjoy.
Take care out there.
Brian, tankless in LA.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC