> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thanks - oil it is!
Login | Register

Thanks - oil it is!

Posted by averill on August 27th, 2000 09:03 AM
In reply to Cast your vote: Water or oil based poly for wood floors? (or seal/wax?) by averill on August 24th, 2000 07:55 PM [Go to top of thread]

Thank you for all your help. I'm going with the oil for the living and dining room downstairs. I can close off that area of the house entirely while it is drying, so I hope I can control the dust. We'll see. FYI, I found out the reasoning behind the gloss, gloss, then satin method of finishing - and it does make sense. Polyurethane is all gloss to begin with. They use additives to dull it down, and this 'softens' the finish.- In that the whole purpose of the finish is to protect the wood -use high gloss for maximum protection/hardness for coat one, again for coat two, up until the last coat which would be satin - for the nice un-shiny look, and to minimize scratches showing up later. I love it when things make sense! Thanks again for your help. (I might try waterbased on the upstairs bedrooms when I get to them... just to compare for myself.) FYI, I ended up buying Benjamin Moore's brand - bloody expensive at $30 a gallon - but I love their paint. At a gallon and a half a coat, it is going to be some investment!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC